Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sacred Land

Sacred Land. What is Sacred Land? As a Traditional Witch the very Land around me is sacred to me. But this topic goes a bit deeper than that, literally.

Sacred Land is the both the physical Land that the witch sees around hirself and the Inner Land, the Land of the Gods and of the Ancestors. When a witch lays down the compass xe reaches down into the physical Land, digging down deep and nestling hirself into the currents of the River of Blood. This river is the current of our ancestors. From here does the witch work magic and connect to hir Source.

I, currently, am not in my normal place of living. I am far removed my mountain lands and much closer to the ocean. There is an environmental difference and a cultural difference. When I first arrived in Washington I fell into a terrible sickness that lasted a few days. This always happens when I travel because I am away from my working environment and from my natural habitat. Though in general I have always felt disconnected upon American soil. My true home is across the ocean and in the Old Country, but more on that later.

So, what do I do here? I feel so disconnected that I can hardly concentrate sometimes. In Montana I had always felt disconnected, but there was also a sense of belonging because my mother had shed her blood for me and my birth. I was born in Montana, nothing will change that and it will always be my home. When I am there I create my Sacred Land and reach down to my ancestors.

Here it is different. Modern society has choked up everything here. There are hardly any remote areas where spiritual activity is at its most powerful and indeed the spirits of the city are powerful but aloof and wary of strangers like their living counterparts. Even further the spirits of the dead Indians that once resided in the valley are angry and not very friendly at all to European descendants, myself included!

So I really just have to find a place to reconnect with the land. I am not used to living in a suburban area, so it is really quite different for me. Back home I was able to go out in my backyard a ways and settle down and Connect, but here it is different. I have houses on all sides of me and anyone can just peak over and inquire as to what I am doing. I have a solution to this little problem.

I was searching through my books for some inspiration when I came across Robin Artisson's (yes, I'm like a zealous disciple, piss off) essay on the Sabbatic flight. I scanned through it and came to the part about oeneric workings. Here was the idea that I found: One can connect to the Land in a far remote place and after the connection is made petition to take a bit of the Land back home to the city so that one may always connect at any time. I also had a bit of inspiration from The Golden Compass as the witches in that novel have pieces of the land that they were initiated upon which gives them their powers. From here I could mix part of the gift from the Land onto my current property making it sacred (I have always felt that modern society destroys the sacredness of the land with its bloody pollution...) and becoming its protector as I was back home.

Just an idea to get reconnected I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment